Post-renovation cleaning of the house
Wash and clean
After you’ve vacuumed up the dust with a vacuum cleaner and rags, you can start cleaning up paint stains and other dirt.
A normal painted ceiling does not need to be cleaned after you’ve vacuumed it. If you have a stretch ceiling with a glossy surface, additionally use a dry rag so as not to leave streaks. PVC ceiling should be cleaned as gently as possible with a rag of cloth. If the dirt is strong, then use a soapy solution. Never use hard brushes or sponges.
2. Chandeliers, light fixtures, switches, outlets
Be sure to turn off the power before cleaning chandeliers and light fixtures, so plan your cleaning for the first half of the day.
If the walls have been painted with paint, if you have glued liquid, vinyl or paper wallpaper or applied decorative plaster, these walls do not need to be cleaned. They must only be cleaned by wiping them with a cloth dampened with a cleaning agent.
4. Ceramic tiles
In cleaning ceramics, the main thing is to remove traces of grout and dust stains, which appear even after the second or third wash. Be sure to vacuum the tile before you clean it with a damp rag. Large pieces of grout, tile glue are easily removed with a wooden spatula (the main thing is to do it carefully, without leaving scratches). If stains of primer are left on the ceramic tiles, they can be removed with acetone. But first be sure to try its effect on the tiles in an inconspicuous place. Also in construction stores sell a special chemistry (foam), which scrubs tiles.
5. Furniture and Plumbing
Sofas, armchairs, upholstered chairs, cabinets and drawers should be vacuumed, while first washing and drying the brush of the vacuum cleaner from the construction dust. Wooden furniture is wiped first with a damp cloth and then with a dry one. Wooden furniture polish has an anti-static effect – use it after you have cleaned the furniture, so it will look even fresher.
Clean your bathroom fixtures with a special cleaner bought in a regular store. If you want maximum shine, you can use a vinegar-lemon solution. Acrylic bathtubs should not be cleaned with a brush or hard sponge – they are easily scratched, use the softest sponge possible, and refuse means with concentrated acids, alkalis and solvents.
6. Windows, Doors, and Mirrors
Clean the windows with a window washer and dry them to make sure they are streak-free (a microfiber cloth will work). If the windows were protected with film – remove it very carefully. Remains of the glue, if any, remove with absorbent cotton and acetone. It is better not to rub on the windows in bright sunlight – it causes the water to dry too quickly, and this leaves quite noticeable streaks on the windows.
Painted wooden floors are best cleaned with plain water. Parquet and hardwood floors should be cleaned with a special cleaner, following the instructions. Laminate can be washed with soapy water, and then additionally cleaned with regular clean. Wood is not very fond of humidity, so a rag when washing a wooden floor squeeze well.
Removing Stains and Specific Stains
When there are heavy stains that are literally embedded in the surface, try four remedies:
- steamer: the hot steam will soak the dried compound and make it easier to clean;
- construction hair dryer: cleans the room of dry dust, easily removes adhesives (it heats up so that then you just have to wipe with a rag);
- white spirit solvent: cleans up almost everything (use it only with a respirator);
- Boiling water: Hot water can remove dried-on dirt faster.
Is it worth doing everything yourself or is it better to entrust the cleaning to professionals
The advantages of entrusting the general cleaning after repairs to the cleaning service:
- professionalism: the cleaners know how to competently clean the room using specialized means;
- Quality and at the same time safe chemicals for cleaning after repairs;
- Speed: thanks to their experience employees of cleaning companies do every stage of cleaning faster without sacrificing quality;
- responsibility: the contract usually contains clauses on damages, and cleaners themselves work accurately and professionally;
- Availability of additional services: furniture placement, polishing and waxing of parquet and furniture, window washing, carpet cleaning, etc.
Disadvantages of cleaning companies:
- You need to order general cleaning in advance;
- the full cycle of services can be quite expensive;
- you will have to entrust your whole house and things for a whole day or control each process so as not to risk furniture and repairs.